Here at Prepping News, we’re on a mission to get ourselves (and you) ready for the coming winter. Things can get pretty brutal here in the Midwest, and having a solid winter survival plan is important to your family’s protection.
(Make sure you also check out our latest related post – “Do You Have These 19 Essential Winter Survival Items?“)
Without fail, every winter we hear tragic news stories of motorists that lose their lives because they found themselves stranded in their car, without the basic necessities to survive until help could get to them. We have no intention of letting that happen to any of our friends or family!
Over at Survive Hive, they’ve put together a pretty exhaustive list of car survival items. You can read the full post here but take a quick look at their list to see how your car survival kit compares.
- Durable canvas bag to store supplies
- Jumper cables (12-20’)
- Roadside flares (4)
- Flat tire inflation canister (non-explosive)
- Spare tire and jack
- Spare car fuses
- First aid supplies kit
- Bottled water (2-3 gal.)
- Granola/energy bars
- Small toolkit (screwdrivers, pliers, vise grips, adjustable wrench, tire pressure gauge, etc.)
- Flashlight and extra batteries or flashlight that doesn’t need batteries
- Small, folding shovel
- Road maps
- Extra gloves, boots, wool socks, stocking cap
- Fire extinguisher small (ABC type)
- Antifreeze (1 gal.)
- Two quarts of oil
- Roll of duct tape
- Paper towels / rags
- Washer fluid
- Pen and paper
- Multipurpose tool
- Seasonal supplies (rain gear, umbrella, ice scraper, etc.)
We like this list and think it’s a really good base level of preparation. Anything else you think is essential for your car this winter?
If you appreciate what we do here at Prepping News, please take a moment to share this with your friends and family. Thank you!